Saturday, March 7, 2009

Culture Heroes?

Everyone should read this article:
http://whoviating.blogspot.com/2008/06/heroics.html

{thank you, Matt, for sharing}

Let me add to this otherwise brilliant argument that hero worship of soldiers is completely understandable. Americans have been effectively brainwashed since the cold war to embrace this "Us vs. Them" mindset which legitimizes the black marks on our historical record. If Joe McCarthy wasn't enough, phrases like "if you can't stand behind our soldiers, stand in front of them" {sorry, David, did I steal your witty little comeback? =P} --one of the most illogical positions I have heard in my life {think about it: if you disagree with what soldiers do...do it FOR them!}--and the conservative response to the 60's/70's/80's have finished the job.

My point {and I'm sure the author of the article's point} is not to bash soldiers, but to question America's worship of death. The cultural "myths" and icons that we worship epitomize the things our culture treasures and values. What does it say about America when one is unpatriotic for resisting evil with good? Or when our greatest heroes are instruments of death? Or when concern for others has been shrouded by unapologetic national interest?

You can call me names all day, but in the end these are the kinds of questions that keep you up at night and force you to question your most precious beliefs.

1 comments:

the Knitter said...

Smanth darling.
This is the first time i have read your blog (which as you know is brilliant). I have heard you mention in other contexts, however, that people call you names. Which makes me laugh, the idea of calling you some kind of derogatory name is hilarious.

anyhow, so that's that =)

love you.